In order to run some software you need a real machine and real machines come with a great variety of architecture: a kind of differentiation could be
- load/store architecture: instructions are divided in two categories: memory access and ALU operations between registers.
- register architecture: instructions are not divided and operations like
addcan be between memory and registers.
In particular, the kind of architecture can influence the way a function is called:
There are two notations: Intel and AT&T.
Four principles of IS architecture
- simplicity favors regularity
- smaller is faster
- good design demands compromise
- make the common case fast
In electronics engineering and computer engineering, microarchitecture, also called computer organization and sometimes abbreviated as µarch or uarch, is the way a given instruction set architecture (ISA) is implemented in a particular processor. A given ISA may be implemented with different microarchitectures; implementations may vary due to different goals of a given design or due to shifts in technology.
Computer architecture is the combination of microarchitecture and instruction set designs.
The name stands for Reduced instruction set computing: it's a CPU design.
Microprocessor without Interlocked Pipeline Stages
|2-3||v0-v1||return value from a function call|
|4-7||a0-a3||first four parameters of a function call|
|8-15||t0-t7||temporary variables need not to be preserved|
|16-23||s0-s7||function variables, must be preserved|
|24-25||t8-t9||two more temporary variables|
|26-27||k0-k1||kernel use registers|
|31||ra||return address register|
|slti r, s, imm||Set on less than immediate (signed)||If
- MIPS alternative registers name
- Cheat sheet
- MIPS Basic Training Course
- MIPS32® Instruction Set Quick Reference
- MIPS: non-virtualizable architecture (Part 1)
- Exceptions in MIPS
- MIPS binary repo
- The MIPS R4000
- 32-bit integer calculations
Scalable Processor ARChitecture. It's an
Performance Optimization With Enhanced RISC
The MOS Technology 6502 is a little-endian 8-bit microprocessor with a 16 bit address bus
- Wikipedia page
- cc65 is a complete cross development package for 65(C)02 systems, including a powerful macro assembler, a C compiler, linker, librarian and several other tools.
The Ricoh 5A22 is a microprocessor produced by Ricoh for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) video game console and is based on the MOS Technology 6502 family of processors.
- The Edge of Emulation: the limit of software emulation for the PPU
- THE POLYGONS OF ANOTHER WORLD: SUPER NINTENDO
Open source ISA